The Kauri Coast
Whether you plan to soak in the amazing history of the Kauri Coast, walk and picnic in some of the most beautiful parts of the country, or just immerse yourself in the vibrant local community, there's plenty to do on the Kauri Coast.Try a day out,starting with a horse ride at Mangapai, explore the Waipu Caves only 10 minutes from Mangapai and picnic at Piroa falls on the way home......
- Visit historic buildings and churches.
- Pay a visit to Whakapirau, the once very bloody site of Maori battles.
- Picnic at the landing where sailing boats brought supplies to kauri workers.
- Visit Matakohe Kauri Museum.
- Explore the Harbour with Kaipara Cruises.
- Take the Kauri Bushmen?s Memorial Walk. (15mins)
- Experience the majestic Piroa Waterfall. (5mins)
- Explore the Waipu Caves.
- Pahi Walkway climb to the top of the ridge and discover the Maori Pa site. (1hr 45mins)
- Tokatoka Climb the steep pinnacle set amongst native bush that Missionary Samuel Marsden climbed to gain a 360 view of the Kaipara. (20mins)
- For experienced climbers, Maungaraho Rock is a serious but enjoyable challenge. (45min walk around base, 30min climb)
Get out and about:
- Harbour fishing charters can be arranged (lots of Snapper and Kawai to be had).
- Tour the local olive grove (morning tea by arrangement).
- Play a quick round of 9 holes at Ararua Golf Club.
- Borrow kayaks.
- Ask about scenic flights (flights depart from strip approx. 5 mins away).
- Check out the local Arty Farty's just West of the Town Centre.
- Pop down to the local pub for a drink and a great meal(Wed and Friday).
- Stop in at the welcoming Cruiser bar and grill(Wed thru Sun).
- Sample the local bacon butties at the Farmers? Market, every second Saturday.
- Try your luck at Waipu's local antique and retro store, or the 2nd hand store at Ruawai.
- If the sun is out, the awesome Waipu beaches are not to be missed.
- Pick up Flounder and Mussels at Pahi and bring them back for the barbecue.
- Paparoa Wearable Arts (Oct)
- Horse/Foot Trek Fundraiser AMP (Oct/Nov)
- Pahi Regatta (Jan)
- Dargaville Jazz Festival (1-3 Oct)
- Dargaville Field Days (see calendar)